Having undertaken a full survey of the school site I have made the difficult decision to delay opening of the school to children on Monday 4th February until 10am. This decision has not been taken lightly as I fully understand the difficulties it causes working families, however, that is why I have taken the decision now, to enable you to make any other arrangements you may need to.
While most of the main roads around here are safe, the whole school site is covered in inches of frozen snow, and where this has started to melt, due to the sub zero temperatures overnight, it has turned to thick sheet ice.
We have tried to clear as much of the site as we can this afternoon but there is still much to do before it is safe to welcome children and families tomorrow.
We will be contacting Morton's and the minibus company to tell them of our late opening time, and as such you will need to arrange alternative transport to school tomorrow morning. Your children will not be able to get the bus or minibus tomorrow morning. The minibus and Morton's will be running as normal tomorrow afternoon after school.
School staff will be on site when they are able to get there safely, but when they arrive their role will be to make the school site safe, so sadly we will not be able to accept any children into school before 10am.
In addition, the Church car park is also covered in ice and hardened snow, and the pathway from there to school is extremely dangerous. Use of the Church Car park and the pathway down to school tomorrow morning is at your own risk, and is not recommended. We will be operating a 'kiss and drop' system from 10am tomorrow morning until around 10.30am to enable children to get into school safely. The school car park will be closed off to all vehicles except staff (as it will be full at that time), and staff will be waiting outside the school gates to receive your child. If you wish to use the car park at Jiminy's in the morning and walk across the common, please do so, but you must bring the children in through the front door of the school, not the conservatory doors. Please also bear in mind that the lanes leading to the recreation ground are also extremely dangerous at the moment.
I anticipate conditions steadily improving over the course of the day with rising temperatures and rain forecast, but I am uncertain yet as to whether the Church car park will be safe in time for pick up, so the school will keep you informed of pick up arrangements during the day tomorrow.
PLEASE CAN ANY AVAILABLE PARENTS (WITH OR WITHOUT SNOW SHOVELS) JOIN US AFTER 8 AM TO HELP US CLEAR THE SITE AND MAKE IT SAFE.
Of course, this also means that Breakfast Club will not be running tomorrow.
Once again, I am fully aware how inconvenient these arrangements will be, but I also know that you understand that I have had to make these decisions based on the information I have now (at 4.15pm on Sunday), and purely for the health and safety of your children, yourselves and my staff.
Thank you, as always, for your ongoing support. Stay safe on your way into school tomorrow!